Monday, February 13, 2012
A New Chapter
Don't worry, my friends - this isn't some "I'm failing so I'm rebooting" post.
In fact, I've been quite successful the last several weeks. Let's talk about what's gone RIGHT.
1) I'm down another 2 pounds to 357.
2) I've worked out 5 out of 7 days of the last week.
3) I haven't battled a side-stitch since the race in January.
4) My coach and teammates are all communicating with me - and I'm gaining momentum.
5) I have a NEW pair of New Balance shoes that actually fit a bit better than my last pair (the last pair were 2Es, these are 4Es)
So I can't really be too upset with that progress.
That being said - there are a few stumbles.
1) My exercise plan has been a little hit and miss due to some baby related and sleep related issues. Although I've worked out 5 times - it's all been indoors.
2) The weight loss - although positive - isn't ENOUGH for me - isn't fast enough or drastic enough. And I'm trying.
So - what's this "new chapter" we're talking about?
As I was wandering through the bookstore the other day, a "diet" book caught my eye. "Fat to Skinny: Fast and Easy"
A title like that demands attention. So I picked it up and flipped through the success stories and testimonials. 210 pounds in 15 months. 101 in 6 months. 90 in 6 months. 30 pounds in a month.
These are obviously the best examples for advertising - but I was interested enough to read on.
It's a low net-carb plan. And the more I read it - the more I liked it. It's different than the original Atkins (which I tried in high school, and had success with - although got tired of meat and cheese) because it counts NET carbs - and encourages lean proteins and veggies. The plan is simple - meats and greens get you lean. 20g of net carbs a day or less - and you will burn fat cells. Add in my exercise plan - and we've got a potential winner here.
It actually got me excited. Excited enough to buy it and discuss it with Amber.
Who agreed to do it with me.
So yesterday we cleaned out the kitchen. If it had more than 4g of net carbs - out it went. And then shopping. And this morning we both weigh in and start this together.
It feels....new. Different. Exciting.
And that's a great feeling.