Monday, September 10, 2012
Remembering the terms of the weight loss challenge I'm in, I can't comment on that, but can comment on diet and issues surrounding it.
So here's a shotgun blast of update.
1) Diet: Amber wanted to try something together that we hadn't tried before, so I've switched from Atkins to Amber and I joining Nutrisystem. This is the end of our first week. So far, so good. Small portions, decent food, and no guess work. They do the work for us. Can't complain so far. I am seeing positive progress. Just can't say how much without violating the terms of the competition.
2) Exercise: After what happened in Disneyland (more on this in a moment) - I've decided to add another support to my plan. Namely - a gym. In fact, after this post, I'm off to LA Fitness to work out. I'll be doing strength training 2-3 times a week - added to my Galloway cardio plan.
3) Races: W&D is two months away (and Nutrisystem is a 2 month commitment, so that works out). January is 4. Lots of good yardsticks to measure progress. Sadly, a week before Disneyland, I was in the ER with a massive sciatica problem. I could barely walk at the time. I was medicated and injected, but although I was better in Disneyland - my body just wasn't going to do the race, so I opted out and did curb crew duty for my teammates. Better to be safe and run again than get hurt.
4) Everything else: work is going to be a bear for the next few months - I have like six trials coming up all right on top of each other. But it's what I love doing. So much like with the issues above, I'm just going to buckle down and DO it.
How've you been? Are you still here at all? :)
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
I've been trying to keep with Galloway's plan - but have been REALLY having shin and calf pain - extremely badly. So I've switched to elliptical training for a week or two - until I can get some new shoes, and eliminate THAT angle (which I think will solve the problem, really).
Just finished an elliptical workout.
Struggling with finding a balance in the food department. It's hard when Amber and I are doing different things - and also hard when my stress level is nearing a high. Just a ton of stuff to do. But I'm working on it and moving forward.
This weekend is the PNWMM! I am so excited to see all my friends again! Plus - I'll be performing some magic at our very own Main Street Magic Shop again! Can't wait! Make sure you come by and see ALL THREE SHOWS!
Saturday, July 28, 2012
Today I'll be brief - because I usually am anyhow lately.
And that's what today's question is about.
I'm considering moving the blog to Facebook. Basically just updating my status with my progress.
I'm considering this because I really don't have the time to dedicate right now to maintaining the blog how I'd like to.
So I'm wondering from you - my friends.
Would you rather have a blog where I get busy and rarely update, but I'll keep trying to update more and more and be as detailed as possible?
Or would you rather follow me on Facebook and see more frequent updates, with shorter content?
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
I'm keeping track with the Galloway training program - having done 2.11 m last weekend and keeping up with the 30 minute maintenance run/walks twice a week. The days are sometimes different (I tend to do my long distance on Sunday) - but I'm keeping with the program. I tend to do a 10s run to a 1:50 walk right now - and find it's comfortable, challenging, but not overpowering.
Sadly I can't tell you how things are going on the weight loss competition, or else I violate the rules. If you're interested and you know how to get ahold of me off-blog - feel free to ask. :)
Sorry I haven't been updating - but I've been SUPER busy getting ready for this years Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet - it's coming up on August 4. Tons of videos to produce, magic to practice, etc.
In any event - I'm feeling fairly good about W&D - a little nervous about Disneyland - but I know I can get through it. And TOTALLY excited about seeing CarsLand.
How're you all doing?
Monday, July 9, 2012
The friends weight loss challenge has officially begun. As such, in compliance with the rules, Amber and I have weighed in this morning, and combined our weights (YIKES). I've removed the Club 8 ticker from the site for now.
I'm sticking with Paleo - Amber with WW.
I'm also doing the Jeff Galloway W&D Training Program - which this week looks like:
T: 30 minutes r/w
Th: 30 minutes r/w
S: 2.0 miles r/w
And yes - I'll be posting - and updating. But now I'm off to work!
Thursday, July 5, 2012
I have some interesting updates for you all today.
First - my weight has held steady through July 4. So that's good. Not great. But not bad either.
Second - that may be the last time you hear me mention my weight until the Wine and Dine Half Marathon! Yes. FOUR MONTHS.
Why, you ask?
Last night, at our good friends annual Fourth of July bash, a challenge was solidified.
We have several couples that are now competing (as of Monday the 9th) in a Biggest Loser competition - Amber and I included (which is great! It's a fun way to get us both pushing harder and harder than ever before). The prize? The rest of the couples send you for a night to a nearby resort hotel and casino (and if you have a wee one, they do the babysitting too).
The contest runs from July 9 to Election Day (November whatever it is). About 4 months.
There are rules, though.
1) We don't talk about our weight loss numbers in public or with the other couples. We don't want anyones success or lack there of to alter another competitor's resolve. They've asked me not to post my weight on the blog during the challenge.
2) Both team members must lose at least 5% of their body weight during that time to qualify.
But to make matters more fun, Monday is where Galloway's W&D Training Program starts - so I'll be starting that, but also including elliptical workouts on my off days as cross training.
I'm actually quite excited about this - with me doing Paleo (and really having a handle on it now - I've really started reading labels and finding hidden sugars, etc) - and Amber on WW - and this training plan - I see a few things:
1) A good performance in Disneyland on Labor Day Weekend.
2) A strong chance of winning this competition.
3) A great performance at the W&D in November.
Monday, June 25, 2012
And I managed to lose just shy of 2 pounds!
Back with more later in the week.
Monday, June 18, 2012
I was in Vegas last weekend (a week ago) for my best friend's bachelor party, and went SLIGHTLY off Paleo while gone. But that carried into a week of somewhat lousy eating when I returned. I forgot how BAD I felt before Paleo. And on top of that, I'm holding onto 3 additional pounds.
But nevertheless - some good came from it.
1) I am now 1000% committed to Paleo. I have what I need to succeed. And I'm taking responsibility for it myself. Amber has decided that what works best for her is to do Weight Watchers, so she's switched to that. But I'm still with Paleo. I have a house full of good Paleo food - and lots of energy and drive to give it.
2) I've been more motivated to work out lately than before. And this morning I started with a full elliptical workout. Sometimes I'll hop on and do 15-20 minutes and call it good - but today I finished it. And it felt GREAT. I know I have about 2 months to be ready for Anaheim - and ready I shall be.
3) I've decided to talk to my doctor about a variety of things that have been bugging me personally - I want to get some blood work done so I can see the effects of Paleo on me - and have a baseline. Plus - I want to talk to her about possibly getting a sleep study done (Amber has apnea). And yes - it's vein of me - but I want to talk to her about Rogaine.
In other words - I'm committed to using the resources I have to make myself the best me I can be. It won't happen overnight - and it won't be easy.
But then again - when has hard work REALLY ever bothered me once I committed myself to a principle?
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
So I just keep plugging away at it.
Good news - I actually restarted my exercise regime though! I did a weigh-loss workout on the Elliptical today! And felt really good! Can't wait to kick it up a notch as the sun starts shining and get my booty outside! I plan on really hitting Disneyland HARD.
And I have a new SIDE challenge - my landlord and friend Mark is coming with me (and his wife) for the W&D. He's lost over 80 pounds this year doing Atkins. He and I were roughly the same size. And I'm planning on doing the Wild Africa Trek with him in November! That means I have to get down under 310 by then. I think that's doable if I stick with the plan and work hard!
I'm also planning on getting some blood work done to see how this is affecting things like my cholesterol, blood pressure, and sugars.
So all in all - a good report - other than that nasty pound. :P Tomorrow a quick post as I'm off to Vegas to throw my best friend his bachelor party!